When I went to Italy in the summer of 2002, something very deep changed inside me. I was always a planner. Not to say that I wasn't spontaneous or I wasn't impractical (I mean, how could one get a degree in theatre arts and not be impractical). But, I was always rooted in "the next step", in my goals and my visions. In college, I would relish every semester in scheduling my classes. Fitting things together perfectly with getting the proper requirements, the right teacher, the right hours, the proximity from one class to another. I went to Chicago with the goal of working in theatre for 2 years. I did just that and left a couple weeks shy of my 2nd anniversary there.
How I ended up in Italy was the most unplanned event of my life up until that point. I came that summer to do an international theatre workshop in Umbria and a week-long residency with a theatre company in Tuscany. I had planned to travel afterwards for a month, first with my cousin, John and then with a friend, Christiana. One weekend of the workshop that we had free, I decided to go visit a friend of mine who was working in Tuscany at a seaside resort. I rallied together 3 other of the actresses to join me on an adventure. San Vincenzo & Ermanno (the place & the friend) ended up being pretty uneventful. We grabbed a wrong train on a sleepy Sunday and ended up in Rome instead of back to Orvieto. So, we decided to stay for a couple of hours and get something to eat in Rome before heading back. That's when it happened.
I literally found myself at the top of the Spanish Steps, coming from a roundabout way (the steps were closed because they were filming something) and I had a magnificent view of Rome. I was so giddy, I started laughing at my discovery and said outloud, "Oh my god! I'm moving to Rome!,". The other 3 girls laughed and poked me, jokingly "Yeah, I'm moving to Rome too...," and I said again, still laughing at perhaps the ridiculousness of it and at my revelation, "No, I'm actually having a moment here. I'm moving to Rome!,". When we got back to Orvieto, I called Vega who was a friend of a good friend of mine and was living in Rome. I was planning on seeing her after I finished the residency, but I had to share my revelation with her. She was so encouraging, telling me that there were plenty of opportunities to teach English there and that if I wanted to learn Italian, there were many language schools. I was excited and then, of course, I questioned myself. What was I thinking? I didn't know any Italian. I didn't have any money. I barely had enough money to support my travels. I didn't know anyone. Well, I kinda sorta knew Vega, but not very well and surely, not well enough for her to be my only contact in a foreign city. Right?
Rome began her lesson to me in letting go. From that first moment on the top of the Spanish steps to the next time I went there and Vega picked me up from the train station, I would get strong instincts about things, follow them, and find myself in the "right situation". I very quickly found other actors, directors, screenwriters, agents, & casting directors. My sister's car ended up breaking down in L.A., so she bought mine in CA and I had money to actually get me started. I took a teeny tiny studio on the Tiber River right near Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps and I was often on that floor, giddily thanking the universe/God/whatever angels there must have been, I thought, to be supporting me through every step of this incredible adventure. Sure, there were lots of ups and downs, triumphs and dissapointments, but my time in Rome felt incredibly unplanned, yet scripted. Everything always seemed to work out, even in ways I would have never imagined. And, as much as I fought with it, I was no longer a planner. Rome had taught me time and time again that when I tried to plan something, it was often the "mistake" (i.e. taking the wrong train), the unplanned event that led me where I needed to go.
Many stories and adventures later, I end up meeting Mimmo, end up getting married (that wasn't "supposed to happen"), end up getting pregnant, and we end up coming to California to birth Salvatore. When we got to CA, we did prepare as much as possible with me taking a small business course to learn about opening a small business here if we decided to stay. We took childbirth prep classes, did the hospital tour, read books, and began preparing for Salvatore's coming. We got an apartment, started to nest, and then, yes, the most unplanned event now of my life occured. Only this time, this "mistake" seems to have no rhyme or reason. Everything doesn't work out. All that I've learned so far in my life from experience, seems to have gone out the door. I survived many difficult things in my childhood and perhaps this had made me stronger, but I never thought that I would have to face trials larger than those I faced and conquered from my early years. Nothing, and I mean, NOTHING can prepare you for this and everything feels like it is out of whack and anything I may have believed in is either questioned or shot down. It feels like standing on a battlefield after all the damage had been done and I am left alive, but everything has been destroyed. And, my whole life before seems like a different person, seems like a film, seems like lifetimes ago and I want to understand and yet, I don't know that I ever will.
I guess that's why I need to write. I need to remember who I was. I need to remember who Salvatore was. I need to ask these questions even though I may never receive the answers. I need to try in my own way to make sense of things, even as they feel so senseless. I want to write a new story. I want this story to have many unplanned events, but I want these events to have a happy ending. I know that that may seem delusional after all that has happened, but I don't expect "and they lived happily ever after". I just expect that they don't end in irreperable tragedy. I'm still stuck on this planet it seems, and even though there have been many moments that I don't want to be, I am still here all the same and I need to find a way to make it ok to still be living. The stakes are too high for life not to get better, to have meaning, and to have purpose.
7 comments:
I forgot you were a theatre girl. I was too, only I dropped out 3 years into getting my degree. I also want to live in Rome someday!
At any rate, I know that it's easy to say this, but I really truly do believe that things happen for a reason. I can't imagine what the reason is in your case- but even during times of tragedy, good things can and do come from it.
My aunt has two autistic boys and my heart breaks for her all of the time because she will never have a "normal" family. But she once told me "God never gives you more than you can handle" and those words have always stuck in my brain.
Your story will turn out positive and good, Lisa. I can feel it in you and your energy. You will heal and move forward- in time.
You're writing is and has been amazing.
It speaks for itself. You write from your heart and you can hear the healing and process and pain and everything else...
The wonderful thing about life is it keeps going, the awful thing about life is it keeps going.
In the end one only has themself - and after that one is one with all - I think...
The other thing I meant to say - you had said that you were thinking "what ifs" and this last post was about how you learned to live without planning and into Salvatore began planning -
I hope you are not judging yourself or blaming yourself or wondering what you could have done differently -
you did nothing wrong -
Lisa - you did nothing wrong.
You are not being punished for something you did or didn't do or went a wrong path -
At times I may think things happen for a reason - but at other times life makes no sense and I really don't know - it's not for me to figure out - sometimes I just need to get through the day as gently and loving as possible
I wish for you unplanned beginnings of a future"happy" you and your family. You are right the stakes are too high.
Funny, I am such a planner/control freak too. But the best things in my life have come unexpectedly. The best and the worst. The worst (his death) intertwined with the best (my son). And I used to say so much, things were meant to be. Now, I can't think that.
I love that Rome called you and you came. Rome gave you Mimmo. Rome gave you Salvatore. It really is beautiful.
Angelisa,
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I have been catching up on your blog. I wish you did not have to be here. I wish you had your beautiful Salvatore here with you. I am so very sorry for everything you have been through. I hope being here helps, even if it is only a little. I know it saved my life, the women here...nothing short of amazing, just like you.
I'm so sorry Salvatore wasn't able to stay with you.. but at least you got to know him, however brief your time together was. Not that it's any consolation, but I can see how beautiful he was and how much you and your husband love him. I wish no one had to go through the pain of losing a child.
Post a Comment