Se esprimi un desiderio è perché vedi cadere una stella, se vedi cadere una stella e perché stai guardando il cieloe se guardi il cielo è perché credi ancora in qualcosa. - Bob Marley
If you make a wish, it's because you see a falling star
If you see a falling star it's because you're watching the sky
And if you're watching the sky
it's because you still believe in something. - Bob Marley
Salvatore's first book was not, infact, the Dolphin Book. While we were still living in Italy, and I was about 5 months pregnant, I found a sweet, small book in a museum store called "Stelle". It was a book written by a Neapolitan artist that described the stars to children. I tucked it inside our luggage and one day, at 7 months, while still staying at my mother's house in Berkeley, it popped out. I had never shown it to Mimmo before that night "You must read the Stars book to Salvatore tonight. He needs to hear his papa read him a bedtime story in italiano,".
Mimmo read to him for the first time. Hearing his deep gentle voice and his asides to Salvatore as he read on "Oh, Salvatore, if you could only see this star right now...How beautiful!," and "Did you know this? Papa didn't know this. This book is very interesting, Salvatore,". That very special night, I got the pleasure of witnessing Mimmo become a papa.
Fast forward to a couple of months later. We are in the NICU at Children's Hospital and Mimmo is reading "Stelle" to Salvatore once more. This time we are all, in fact, it seems in outerspace. Salvatore is hooked up to all these machines, "my rocket boy" as I called him. And, as we read to him, we'd already heard the devastating news from our family meeting.
There is no brain activity. And, that will never change. He's breathing only because of the machines. And, even though he could wrap his fingers around my finger, it's just "brain stem function" the Drs., the nurses, & my family tell me. Mimmo and I say that we need time to be with our son. This is our time.Mimmo gets to the part about the Mayans in the book:
I MayaNell'America centrale,
circa mille anni fa,
un antico popolo contemplava il cielo da citta
consruite come veri e propri osservatori astronomici.
I Maya credevano che dopo la morte
tutti sarebbero rinati sotto forma
di stelle!
The MayansIn Central America,
around 1000 years ago,
an ancient people contemplated the sky from
their city where they'd built real astronomical observatories.
The Mayans believed that after death
everyone would be reborn in the form
of a star!
"And, that's what papa hopes that you will be, Salvatore. A star. Shining brightly. That we can look to at night and you will guide us,"
The next day (or the day after or the day after that...it's all such a blur), Mimmo & I woke up to plan our son's release from the machines. We wanted him to be outdoors, not in that stuffy hospital room anymore. We wanted to say a few words, but we didn't want a priest there. We wanted Alice to play her guitar and sing the beautiful song that she sang to Salvatore when she visited him at the NICU. We wanted Vega to read the part in the Stelle book in Italiano and Leila to read the translation in English. Jen had left her "Life Prayers" book and earmarked a few passages for us. I was so turned off by "God" or religion at this point, but I read one of the dog-eared passages and it seemed something that Salvatore could have said himself:
When I die if you need to weep
Cry for your brother or sister
Walking the street beside you
And when you need me put your arms around anyone
And give them what you need to give me.
I want to leave you something
Something better than words or sounds.
Look for me in the people I've known or loved
And if you cannot give me away
At least let me live in your eyes and not in your mind.
You can love me most by letting hands touch hands
By letting bodies touch bodies
And by letting go of children that need to be free.
Love doesn't die, people do
So when all that's left of me is love
Give me away
-Anonymous
We were planning our son's death. We were planning his release. We were planning a ceremony as we felt it was a rite needed to be marked in the most special and gentle of ways. There was only one quote that seemed to be missing...
When we went to the island of Procida one time, I had picked up a sugar packet from the bar near the port. When I turned it over, there was this quote by Bob Marley. I read it to Mimmo and we both loved it. I had tucked it away in my wallet all this time. A few days before Salvatore was born, my wallet was stolen. Mimmo and I tried with all our might to remember, piece together the quote. "Let's call the bar on Procida," Antonio, Mimmo's brother suggested. So, there we were, calling Italy to try to find a quote by Bob Marley (in Italian!) on a sugar packet to read to our son as we took him off of life support. The bar was closed for the season.
Then, like a lightbulb going off in my head, I was like DUH, the internet. We found the quote. It's strange because with all the googling I did in its many different forms, I could never find this quote in English. I don't know if it's from a song, I don't know if it's something he said in an interview, but it became the last words that we said to Salvatore before we let him go...
Because, besides the fact that he will always be our star, we still (even through all of this) want so much to believe in something.
8 comments:
The Bob Marley quote is beautiful, as is the longer, anonymous quote about setting a child free. What beautiful things to include in Salvatore's release and ceremony. What a beautiful, thoughtful ceremony it must have been, Angelisa.
The photos of you in the hospital break my heart. The picture of your husband, Mimmo, in the hospital gown, reading the story to your son - he looks so vulnerable - makes me just want to scream at the unfairness of it all. And how he goes on to ask Salvatore to be a star in the sky to guide you, just makes me want to cry and cry and cry.
I'm just so sorry and I know there is nothing I can say or do to make any of this any better. I do hope, for you, for all of us out here who have to understand such hurt, that we can find something to believe in again. Some day.
(PS I love to read your little Italian writings and quotes. Although I was born in Canada, my parents are from Italy. I like to try and decipher the Italian text, in my terrible, broken Italian. It's funny that you only ever knew Bob Marley's quote in Italian until you found it online.)
Angelisa,
That is an incredible post. The stars shine on all of us and yes, I believe our boys are shining on us. I do think it is a wonderful way to think of your son, shining on you.
All of this breaks my heart. I wish I had words but I don't. The only words I have are, I think of you always and wish for you and Mimmo, peace.
I really love the quote from the life prayers book. It definitely is a great way to envision Salvatore living through your eyes and in still be in your heart. It gave me chills to think of a Bob Marley quote in Italian off a sugar packet. What sweet words.
Kim (180/360) and I were talking about Salvatore after Thanksgiving. His brief life, your grief, everything...it was weighing on my mind, and we talked about it all. Kim and I talked about how you got 10 days with your boy. Even if it wasn't "quality" life, by a medical definition, you were able to hold him, kiss him, sing to him, feel his little grasp, even hold some hope for him before the terrible news.
That doesn't erase the frustration and sadness and anger that he's not here, but seeing the pictures of you and Mimmo holding Salvatore and reading to him... it reminds me of that conversation I had last November. Even though he had to leave, you were blessed with a handful of days with Salvatore alive. You got to hold and comfort your guardian angel before he took flight to watch over you.
c. - thank you for your thoughtful comments. i too, hope for us all that we can find something to believe in again someday...p.s. where are you parents from in italy?
amy - when i looked at your profile the first time and saw how you mentioned stars and that you named one after willliam, i got chills. that's what gave me the idea to write this post. thank you for your thoughts and support...
180/360 - i know, can you believe, bob marley in italian, off a sugar packet?! :-) i still want to try to find this qoute somewhere in english...it's just so odd that i could only find it in italian...
lvgurl - i have had moments of beating myself up that i was so delusional in those days of believing he would get better through all that love & prayers & touching, singing, talking, etc...afterall, the dr. told us the 2nd day that her advice was to terminate his life. i told her "it's day 2 and he's my son.,". i had also just seen him get better from being with us earlier that morning when they told us that they thought he would go. i wanted to wait until they finished the cooling cap therapy & then did an mri & ekg. but, when i'm feeling really bad, i question my judgement. then i remember what you exactly said - we had 10 days with him. 10 days. we got to hold him, sing to him, read to him, touch him, love him so deeply. also, in those 10 days, so many people came to visit him, sent messages of love & prayers from afar, and were touched by Salvatore. yes, we were blessed for those 10 precious days of having Salvatore with us.
Those are some beautiful quotes Angelisa. It's nice to think of our babies as stars in the sky looking down on us. I am sure Salvatore could feel your love and is watching the both of you every day.
Dear Angelisa & Mimmo,
Our hearts go out to you and to Salvatore, your star and guiding light for ever.
Love,
Judith & Gary
1993*Ariane Eira*1993
Post a Comment