Thursday, February 21, 2008

How many times?

Here, we go.

Another damn blog.

I tried many different titles with "time", but they were all taken:

itstime.blogspot.com
itsabouttime.blogspot.com
whattimeisit.blogspot.com

So, I thought to try the beginning to one of my favorite quotes:

"Time is a tease. Time is a tease because everything happens in its own time" - Andre Breton

Ain't that the f$%&!@#kin' truth.

So, here I am and what time is it? It's time to start writing my way through this process. It's not gonna be pretty and it's not gonna be perfect. I don't know how witty I can make this or even interesting. I can only say that it's truth I'm seeking and I need to tell it like it is. I simply can't get through this time without expressing myself any longer because I feel I'm about ready to burst.

So, let's start now. Let's start on time.

It's been 5 months since Salvatore's birthday. Almost 5 months since he passed away. There's nothing I can say (not yet, anyway) to explain or understand how I've even gotten to today.

Today I received an email from my old boss in Italy. The subject read: back when? He basically asked me when I was coming back to Naples. I responded as follows:

Hi Carlos,

This is my new e-mail. Just got your message. I am in America. Our
son, Salvatore was born in Sept. and suffered complications at birth
and died 10 days later. I am still recuperating here and don't know
yet when/if we'll be returning to Italy. Am trying to take care and
get through this difficult time.

I will be in contact if/when I return.

Best,
Angelisa

He responded by telling me how sorry he was to hear this news and also shared with me how last year he was operated on for a brain tumor. We've never met, Carlos & I, because he's in Milan and I was contracted to work in Naples. Our relationship was strictly telephone, text messages & e-mail kinda deal. And, here we were again, but this time sharing very intimate details of our life through e-mail. He went on to tell me how "Our Lady" had been beside him throughout, how he's "sure God will give you the grace to bear this burden and that He will give you all the happiness you deserve,". And he shared with me that last week his father "dropped dead from a heart attack. He was 81 and in excellent health,". I wrote him back to thank him for his kind e-mail and express how sorry I was to hear about his father. I have no room in my life anymore for platitudes, so that's about all I could write. I told him I'd be in contact if/when I returned to Italy and sent him some pictures of Salvatore.





I decided to finally respond to another email that was sent by my other old bosses in Pozzuoli, Stephania and Antonella. They had sent an email to my old address asking me how I was, if I was still in America and that they wanted to hear my news. I just hadn't been able to gather myself up properly to respond to them before. How does one deliver the news that their baby has died? There's really no protocol, I'm learning. Since, I had just responded to Carlos' email, I figured it was as good of time as any. I basically copied my e-mail to Carlos, except I sent it in Italian. I also decided to send a couple of pictures to them of Salvatore. While I was doing this, my cell phone rang. I didn't respond as I didn't recognize the number. After I sent off the e-mail, I checked my message.

"Hi Angelisa, this is Rachel calling - Rachel who did your belly cast - and I'm calling to ask you a question. I'm just wondering how you're doing. I'm sure you have your hands full with motherhood, but I'm actually just about to launch my website for my little side business and I have a photo of you that I would love to use on my site and would just like your permission to be able to use it....,"

At this point, I just wanted to shake my hands up to the sky and say "Could you gimme a break, please?!,"

But, I figured, well I've just sent off these 2 e-mails. I'm on a roll here it seems. So, I called Rachel back. I told her how we lost Salvatore. I also told her how grateful I was that I did the belly casting as I have this special memento of his life and our shared life together. She was kind, and, as is normal, at a loss for words. I told her that I would be willing to let her use the photos. She was hesitant and told me that she'd send them to me and that only if I felt comfortable and was 100% okay with it, she would post them on her site. She sent them to me and I had to smile. I was so big at the time and about ready to pop. Even after all that's happened. I can still remember a happy moment.

That was a happy moment.


I told her I would be happy and honored to have the photo on her website.

10 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi. I just happened upon your blog and I'm so glad I did. Thank you for sharing your story. I lost my first child after on the day she was born. That was 16 years ago. I now have 4 other girls and life is better. Reading your story brought back all those old feelings that time has healed for me. I know it will for you too. I loved your belly cast. I wish I had something like that.

LVGurl said...

I think about you everyday! Reading this post, I feel pain. Oh, how I wish you didn't have to go through this.

Salvatore will always be with you.

Angelisa said...

Sandra,

Thanks for reading my first post. Your words are helpful and also hopeful to hear! It helps to hear from someone who's been through it and knows. I just took a look at your blog and your daughters are beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to leave me your comment.

Angelisa said...

Marss,

Thank you for all your loving thoughts. Honestly, I think the only way I've been getting through all this is having all these incredible people in my life who have been holding me up in their thoughts, prayers, & love.

Love to you, the girls, & Andrew too...

Kisha said...

Angelisa-

Time and time again, I have felt so speechless, so powerless. I wish I could fix it, make you feel better, but I know it is not for me to do. Somehow-in ways that I cannot see, this will serve. Look at this blog, look at how you are beginning to heal people with your story already. I see a book coming out of this that is going to help so many women. I wish I had these stories when my little Spirit was released. I wish.

I think back to the time that I gave you a reading when you were pregnant and I saw you and him having a beautiful life together. I questioned my readings after what happened, but then someone in my seminary said, "No, your reading is correct, they are having a happy life together" and I knew that it was true.

He is right there in the sun surrounding you, in the rain washing away all that was, promising new growth, in the wind moving any notion that anything stands still and mostly in your heart, in my heart and in the hearts of so many...an organic healer. An angel who came, blessed us and returned to God as everything that is good and right in everyday life.

Love you, queen,

Kisha

Angelisa said...

Oh, Kisha,

Thank you for your beautiful message here. Your words are so encouraging and deeply received with gratitude. I don't know what I'm trying to do here, except that I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer :-) I guess I'm trying to figure everything out as best I can to move on and also continue to connect with Salvatore and with you all who have been so present in thoughts and love. Time will tell what this all means...or perhaps I'll never really know. But, I'm trying to write my way through it...we'll see where that leads...

Much love,
A

180360 said...

Dear Lisa,

I know that we have never met, but I followed your pregnancy and loss of Salvatore through our good friend Marci. You and Mimmo have been in my thoughts, prayers and heart this whole time and while these 3 first posts made me cry, they also made me feel incredibly hopeful for your healing. I think this blog will really help you process your feelings and your journey! I send you great big hug for the courage to share your story.

Kim ~ 180/360 xoxo

PS. I LOVE the name of your blog. I'm glad that the others were taken because this one is perfect.

Angelisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelisa said...

Thanks, Kim,

I know we've never met either, but I feel like I know you through Marci. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. And, all this encouragement to keep on writing...It really helps me to have you guys supporting me in this endeavor as the truth of the matter is...I'm scared shitless by what I'm doing :-)

Take care,
A

Unknown said...

For Salvatore


Upon your body I’d lay my hands
I’d lay them down for free
They are hard and rusty
Of longing to be free

Your soul speaks in its howling
Fiery wordless tongues
That leak its weary bodies
And soothe their flowing scars

Your bodies wait in motion
They do not let your soul to pass
You’d be called back forever
No matter how faint the call at last

My hunger grows with distance
And firmness of a tyrant mind
Sad meadows of fears glowing
A dark forever folded cry

In a void of you I am
If I feel with them who feel you shine
Now, that you have gone to rest
Salvaged from this wreck of time

Upon your body I’d lay my hands
I’d lay them down for free
They are hard and rusty
Of longing to be free

I thought I heard you say, I’ve waited
To be found and touched by you
Become unfolded bleeding rain
The breed redeemed in firmament of you

I am falling into you
My breath converted space of cries
I vulnerable baring witness
Falling ceaselessly as falling stars

A ring of fire is where we pass
On golden grass to multiply at last
As with each day made flesh retrieved
Forgiven is our disbelief

I listen like a reindeer to your howling
unheard cries that reign my skies
To hear you walk along these shores still
In abundance of my loving soars.

Upon your body I’d lay my hands
I’d lay them down for free
They are hard and rusty
Of longing to be free


To Lisa, Mimo and Salvatore
with love
Mala