I told her that I was turning 33 the next day.
"Wow, 33, huh?! Girl, you are going into your Jesus year!,"
I'd never heard about this, but K went on to explain how 33 is the year when Jesus died. How 33 was the "bearing your cross" type of year. How Jesus did basically most of whatever it was he did in his last year (oh, & let's not forget - was crucified, ha ha). I didn't like the sound of this. Surely, she got it all wrong on me though. 33 was supposed to be my year of being a glowin' first-time mamma.
I wasn't having any of this Jesus year crap. So, that morning I was projecting the easiest, most peaceful birthday ever. Mimmo and I headed down the coast on Highway One to Half Moon Bay for the day.



It wasn't sunny on the coast ride down, but it was beautiful. We stopped along the side of the road where the artists were setting up easels. When we pulled into Half Moon Bay, I could not wait to introduce Mimmo to my favorite Sushi restaurant in the world. The waitress was one I had never had before. An older Japanese woman who was quite the eccentric. After everything she said, she would have to add "because she's pregnant"...like "yes, this, this, & this are cooked," then she'd wink at Mimmo "because she's pregnant". She told Mimmo that he should have me sitting on the outside "because she's pregnant". I wasn't just pregnant. I was a whale at this point.We walked around the main street and were treated like locals. "When's that baby coming?," total strangers would ask me on the street, in the restaurant, in the shops. "Any moment now," I would smile. "You have to come back after he's born so we can all see him!," said one of the shopkeepers. "Oh, we will!,". At one point, a young Vietnamese women, who was also pregnant ("la tua compagna," Mimmo would point out whenever he'd see another pregnant women) stopped me so excitedly. "When's your baby coming?," she asked. "Soon," I said. "Me too," she said. "I'm so scared.," "Why?," I asked. "The pain!," she said, like DUH. "Oh, it's going to be alright," I told her. I touched her belly and she touched mine.
I didn't want a birthday present this year. I wanted to get something for Salvatore. We stopped inside a store that sold mostly sea-themed gifts. It was there that I found Salvatore's book. A beautifully written and illustrated lullaby by John Denver that told the story of a Dolphin's birth. I starting crying as I read it, it was so beautiful. "And, you're coming so soon, boo,". We made our way to the beach, parked the car, and Mimmo started heading down the sand dunes while I answered my cell. It was my cousin, Vassi, wishing me a Happy Birthday. While we were talking, I made my way from the car to the top of the sand dunes. "Oh, my god, Vass!,"




There were birds everywhere. They covered the beach and covered the sky. People were gathered, taking pictures, laughing. I had never seen so many birds in my whole life. "Can you receive pictures on your cell?," I asked Vassi. "Yes. Send them to me! I want to see," she pleaded from Brooklyn. I burrowed myself in the sand, like a sea lion preparing to give birth, and snapped away. These pictures don't even do justice. Mimmo and I sat and just took it all in. The sun was getting ready to set and I wanted to go to a special place I had found one time with J. It was called Redondo Beach, which I found amusing the first time I had passed the sign. Redondo Beach was the place in Southern California where I was born and spent my first 6 months of life. My mom spoke often of how that summer before I was born, she went to the beach everyday "That's why you love the ocean so much," she mused.

Mimmo and I hiked down, not an easy feat with Salvatore in tow in my tummy. I remember a part that was so windy, narrow, & steep, I hugged every part of the earth to make my way down. It was well-worth the journey, though! When we did arrive on sand, we found ourselves a lovely, secluded spot to watch the sunset. We read Salvatore the dolphin book together and listened to the accompanying cd, Mimmo with one earphone, I with the other. We both teared up. The next day, I sent an email to all our closest friends and family from our day. I joked that I was sharing the last photos of my very pregnant belly and Salvatore's parents before he came into the world.
Later that night, I went into labor. Salvatore was born 2 days after my 33rd birthday.
5 comments:
I still have that email :)
Gorgeous photos!
I am so sorry =/
Strange, I was 33 too. Never heard that saying before.
I agree with g. Stunning photos. What a beautiful memory of your 33rd birthday...and so bittersweet, at the same time. The dolphin tale must be incredibly difficult to even look at now; in a way, it is tangible evidence of that bubble you lived in, that we all lived in, before we knew things like this could happen.
lvgurl - :-)
g - thanks...it was such a beautiful day...yeah, i'm about ready for 33 to be over with (almost 1/2 way done)
c - it will always be such a vivid memory, though i don't know when i'll be able to get myself back to half moon bay again (ever?!). actually, the dolphin book, we read to Salvatore quite often when he was in the NICU and as his nurse, lizzy, said so accurately, it was HIS book. strangely enough, it really was his story.
yes, what a bubble we lived in before, huh? and, what a rude and abrupt awakening we've all had...
Hello, I am here via CLC. I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your son.
Your pictures are goregeous and your story about turning 33 very creepy. Maybe that is why things happened to us too! Guess I won't know that until I get to the other side!
The book is gorgeous and I do believe that I am glad that you have such a nice memory to hold on to.
Post a Comment